Last updated: September 3, 2021
Throughout the pandemic, Custodial Services has been keeping facilities clean, and regularly sanitizing high traffic and high touch-point areas daily in addition to the routine cleaning as per regular operations. As UBC prepares for return to on-campus activity for Winter Session, Term 1, Custodial Services will continue to follow industry cleaning standards standards ISSA Canada and APPA Leadership in Educational Facilities, which reflect a blended approach designed to manage risk and cleaning standards.
Keeping UBC safe and clean is a shared responsibility.
- Common areas: Custodial Services will continue to clean main corridors, elevators and stairwells, refill hand washing supplies (soap, paper towel, sanitizers stations at building main entrances) where dispensers are installed in common areas.
- Laboratories: Building Operations is not responsible for cleaning any laboratory equipment and will not be using cleaning products on laboratory counters. In these spaces, Custodial Services will empty regular garbage cans and sweep floors.
- Offices: Offices are cleaned at night once every two weeks. Office occupants are expected to bring their bins to the centralized sorting stations provided on all floors in each building.
- Shared areas (office kitchens, meeting room, etc.): Resume normal use supplemented by daily cleaning schedule.
- Teaching spaces (classrooms, lecture theatres, etc.): Daily cleaning from Monday to Friday. Cleaning will include wiping down high-touch point surfaces (door handles, table tops, etc.).
- Washrooms: Washrooms are cleaned once per day, and additionally, sanitized at least once over a 24-hour period.
- Workstations: Desktops and personal items are not cleaned by Custodial Services. Everyone is encouraged to wipe down their own work surfaces and common office equipment regularly. Please consult with your supervisor/manager to determine your department’s approach to procuring these supplies.
For any questions and inquiries regarding my building or space?
- Please contact your Building Administrator.
- Your Building Administrator will submit a request to the Service Centre on behalf of you, or work directly with your Facilities Manager for larger issues.
- If the matter is urgent or for emergencies, please contact the Service Centre at 604-822-2173.